Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Sunday

Sunday I worshipped with the Reformed Church of France congregation in Guadeloupe. The pastor's wife, Liza, is from South Africa so she volunteered to translate the service for me.




 There were many things that were different in this Caribbean church.  There was no air conditioning - just loud oscillating fans.  I can barely make it through a Sunday morning with air conditioning AND a fan so I was very impressed with Pastor Jean-Pierre's stamina.  The musicial instruments were a recorder (yes, like the one you played in fourth grade), a small electronic keyboard and two guitars.  There wasn't a sound system and all the songs were from the hymnal.  The musicians remained seated as they played.

But there was much that was familiar, too.  Warm greetings (even if I still don't have the hang of the kissing-the-cheek greeting), the Lord's Prayer, scripture and singing, lots of singing (including one song with English options).




And although I'm really proud of the extravagant hospitality at Living Water - with a continental breakfast available during worship - I must say that this church put on quite a spread for the fellowship time after worship (although the photo only shows half the table of food).



 The focus of the day was "mission" so they talked a lot about the Fete Des Familles from the day before and Bethany shared a bit (in French!) about her life as a missionary.  At the end of the service they introduced their guests so they asked me if I wanted to say something.  I figured this might be my only chance to speak to all the people who have helped Bethany and cared for her, so I said thank you.  "You have not only been her church; you have been her family."

There are many churches that have played an important role in her life, but this church will always have a special place in her heart and therefore in mine as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment