Thursday, June 2, 2016

Complaining About the Caribbean

Could there be anything worse than a person who is about to go to the Caribbean for a month spending the night before her trip writing up a list of complaints?  No, there isn't.

Except...when I say I'm going to a beautiful Caribbean island for a month, I think it's important for you to understand that I am not staying at Sandals.  Or a hotel.  Or a place with a soft bed and air conditioning.  Or even running water (since a water strike started this week).  I'm staying with my daughter Bethany in her cozy little apartment.  Since she is a Global Ministries Intern, her housing is paid for, but there are no luxuries included.  We visited her last year so I know what to expect.  When we were there, I sweat through every outfit I brought, usually by 10 am.  So this time I just packed clothes that I expected to wear while sweaty.  I even got most of my hair cut off so that I wouldn't have to try to put it up or keep it off my neck.  And now that the water is turned off - and who knows when it will be turned on again - I can't even take a cold shower to cool off.  Wah. Wah. Wah.

Because in spite of all of this, her front wall opens up like a garage door and this is the view:


And then there's the beach just a few miles away:


Do you feel bad for me yet?

But all of that is waiting on the other side of a packing marathon (bringing Bibles for the prisoners Bethany works with and gifts for her friends).  And then I have two days of travel ahead of me because that's the itinerary American Airlines wanted to give me.

So yes, it will be great to swim in the ocean and sit under a palm tree, but mostly I'm just excited to spend this time with my daughter, watching her do her own ministry.  I'll be there in the official capacity of missionary mom, and that's a role I'm excited to play!

No comments:

Post a Comment