Sunday, May 29, 2016

Weekends

Family gatherings can be difficult for pastors.  Everyone else in the family has weekends off work so they're the perfect time for reunions.  But it's our busiest day of the week.  Others can pack up the car on Friday night and return home Sunday night without missing any work.  But it's a bigger investment for clergy (and other church staff) because we have to count it as vacation - a Sunday out of the pulpit.

My side of the family has been meeting on Memorial Day weekend in Des Moines for the past few years.  Last year I felt that I couldn't miss another Sunday in the pulpit because of all my other travel plans.  So I preached that Sunday and then we drove to Des Moines - 3 hours away.  Not only did I arrive tired and spent, but everyone else had already been together for a day, catching up and reconnecting.  I was physically present - I'm in the photos - but I don't know if I was really PRESENT.

This year, my son Rob and I drove up on Friday and looked around downtown Des Moines





for a while.  Now, on Sunday, we have been here two days and shared meals and stories and laughter with the extended family.  There is no sense of rushing or of having missed out on the fellowship.  I am PRESENT.  And it's good, really good.

The pace of my life is starting to change.  The rhythm of Sabbath is beginning.  And I'm finding the time to listen and laugh and breathe in the presence of my beloved family.

No comments:

Post a Comment