Friday, October 13, 2017

Corinth and Athens

This whole cruise has been called "Journeys of Paul" but other than Malta, we had yet to be in any place Paul was known to have been.  We have been learning a lot in the lectures by Adam Hamilton and we've learned about the climate and terrain where Paul traveled, but today we finally stood in two places where Paul was known to have stood.

We started the day before the sun, loading onto our 16 tour buses.

First we went to the ruins of ancient Corinth.  Paul spent 18 months there and wrote two of his epistles to the church in Corinth.  We saw the Bema where Paul stood when he was brought before Gallio.  We ate a great Greek lunch and then went to Athens where we saw Mars Hill (and read Paul's speech from there in Acts) and then climbed up to the Parthenon.

I took hundreds of photos and have lots to share with my church when I get back.  But honestly, I literally ran around each place snapping photos of everything in sight and all of the signs so I would know later what I actually photographed.  It was not the way I like to travel - leisurely reading signs and looking through museums.  But we saw some very cool things and I have a new understanding of the life and journeys of Paul.

The day ended with a gorgeous sunset at sea!

Tomorrow is another lecture in the morning and then a day at sea.  I need the rest!





No comments:

Post a Comment