Sunday, July 3, 2016

Last Sunday Goodbyes

My last Sunday in Guadeloupe was also Bethany's last Sunday at her church.  She will be returning home on July 9, and the church will not meet again for worship before then.  As the timing worked out, it was also the last Sunday for their pastor, Jean-Pierre Anzala, who has served them for five years.  He and his family are moving to France.  While these two losses would be a lot for most churches to absorb at once, this congregation also learned that a key leading family - my hosts Katy and Hubert - are also moving back to France before the church resumes worship again in August.  It was a triple whammy goodbye Sunday.




But before we even got to church, I was already very emotional.  As I was preparing for the day, I was listening to music in my room.  I happened to be listening to Gungor, one of my favorite Christian bands.  As the first notes of the song, "You Have Me" began to play, I started to tear up.  This song of devotion is one that Bethany selected for her commissioning service when she began her life as a missionary.  It was her song of dedication.  And now, on this last Sunday before she leaves vocational missionary service, I looked back on all God had shown her and how God had worked through her to love people.  I said a prayer of gratitude for this incredible woman and her incredible faith that has allowed her to experience so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpATmuPr84Q

It's so hard for churches to know what to do on days like this, when you still want to maintain the integrity of worshiping God, but your hearts are heavy and there are many emotions filling the room.  So they did their best to include meaningful music, inspiring message (preached by Hubert), and communion - always communion.

In my post about my first worship experience here, I made a joke about not yet understanding the kiss greeting.  I have grown to understand it better, and in the church, it is a beautiful and biblical expression of community.  Romans 16:16 says to "Greet one another with a holy kiss."  We Americans are much more comfortable with a handshake - or a hug for a good friend.  But the cheek kiss is the natural, normal greeting in France.  It took me a while to get the hang of how to do it right.  You touch cheek-to-cheek on both sides while kissing the air.  There isn't a specific greeting time in the service - a passing-of-the-peace - because everyone greets everyone else when they first arrive.  It is important to arrive early so that you can greet everyone before the service starts.


Bethany has been working with the children during her time here, so she had them lead a song in French during the service and also sing an English song - "Make new friends, but keep the old.  One is silver and the other gold."  Bethany was also asked to sing a song herself.  She chose a camp favorite, "Lay Down Dear Brother (I Bid You Goodnight)."  I sang a harmony part for the last two verses.  It was her goodbye to her church.

They had communion by gathering in a circle around the table.  After Jean-Pierre gave the Words of Institution and prayer, the basket of bread and the cup of wine were passed to each person (grape juice for the kids).  For me, this was the high point of the service.  I guess that's not surprising since I'm a Disciple and communion is the central part of all worship services for us.  But in this particular moment, knowing that this group of people will never gather around this table together again but that they will continue to gather around Christ's table wherever they are, I was struck by how connected we are.  Even when we're preparing to separate and go to different countries, speak different languages, follow different customs, we are bound together at this table.  I thought of my church, Living Water, celebrating this same meal back in Kansas City.  It was a holy moment for me, to see a glimpse of the Kingdom of God.



The flower arrangements for the morning were arranged by a church member from her own garden.  So beautiful!



There was a time for gifts for all those who are leaving.  The church gave Bethany a beautiful calabash lamp, made by piercing an intricate design into a dried gourd. When the lamp is turned on, the design is thrown on the walls of the room.



After the service there was a reception with all kinds of wonderful foods, soft drinks and champagne!  I'd never been to a church reception with champagne, but it was so appropriate for this place and this occasion.


This wasn't the only party, however.  There was an after-party in the home of one of the church members.  As we drove there, we passed a typical sight on the island, a single cow tied up so it could graze.  This cow was across the street from the church.



The party was a potluck, and the home had a beautiful porch overlooking the ocean and the pool.







The food was fantastic, as was the company.  Such a great celebration, the exclamation point, of Bethany's time in Guadeloupe.


No comments:

Post a Comment